If you are a golf lover, you must know about one of the oldest professional golf majors – the PGA Championship.
over 100 years, the championship took place at many various golf courses crossing America.
Do you know all of them? This article provides a list of the PGA golf courses and basic information about how famous PGA golf courses are.
- How To Practice Golf In The Winter:
- Walk Or Ride Golf Cart – What Should You Choose?
- How Many Clubs Are Allowed In A Golf Bag:
- How To Hit Out Of Greenside Bunker?
- How To Find Most Forgiving Irons –
- How To Grip A Putter In The Right Way?
How Famous PGA Golf Courses Are In America :
Which Golf Courses Hosted the PGA Championships?
In history, there is only one course that has held the PGA Championship 4 times, is Southern Hills Country club, yet there are a bunch of courses that have been the host for the championships three times.
Southern Hills Country
Southern Hills Country Club has hosted the PGA Championship in 1970, 1982, 1994, and 2007. This course’s location in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was founded a long time ago, during the Great Depression, and opened for golf players in 1953.
This course is a famous site for players, especially professional players. It got high rates and brilliant reviews on credible golf websites and Top100golfcourses.com. Apart from hosting the PGA Championship four times, Southern Hills is hosts the U.S. Open venue three times.
Here is the list of 7 golf course that host the PGA Championships three times:
- Atlanta Athletic, Johns Creek (year -1981, 2001, 2011)
- Valhalla Golf, Louisville, (year -1996, 2000, 2014)
- Oak Hill Country, Rochester, (year -1980, 2003, 2013)
- Oakland Hills Country, Bloomfield Township, (year -1972, 1979, 2008)
- Oakmont Country, Oakmont, (year -1922, 1951, 1978)
- Firestone Country, Akron, (year -1960, 1966, 1975)
- Whistling Straits, Kohler, (year – 2004, 2010, 2015)
PGA Championship: Match Play Golf Courses
In the early time, PGA held in the form of match-play, not stroke-play form like nowadays. In the tournament, each match is a competition between 2 individuals or two teams.
The rule is also simpler: the opponents try to win the individual holes as much as possible to win the contest.
The competition became the play form in PGA Championships from the beginning – 1916 to the 1957 year.
List of golf courses that held the PGA Championship over the years:
Siwanoy Country Club – N.Y.- 1916
- 1916: Siwanoy Country – N.Y.
- 1917: No tournament.
- 1918: No tournament.
- 1919: Engineers Country – N.Y.
- 1920: Flossmoor Country – Ill.
- 1921: Inwood Country – N.Y.
- 1922: Oakmont Country – Pa.
- 1923: Pelham Country – N.Y.
- 1924: French Lick Springs – Ind.
- 1925: Olympia Fields Country – Ill.
- 1926: Salisbury Golf Links – N.Y.
- 1927: Cedar Crest Country- Texas
- 1928: Five Farms Country – Md.
- 1929: Hillcrest Country – Calif.
- 1930: Fresh Meadows Country – N.Y.
- 1931: Wannamoisett Country – R.I.
- 1932: Keller Golf – Minn.
- 1933: Blue Mound Country – Wis.
- 1934: Park Country – N.Y.
- 1935: Twin Hills Country- Okla.
- 1936: Pinehurst Country- N.C.
- 1937: Pittsburgh FC – Pa.
- 1938: Shawnee Country – Pa.
- 1939: Pomonok Country- N.Y.
- 1940: Hershey Country – Pa.
- 1941: Cherry Hills Country – Colo.
- 1942: Seaview Country- N.J.
- 1943: No tournament – Wash.
- 1945: Morraine Country – Ohio.
- 1946: Portland Golf – Ore.
- 1947: Plum Hollow Country- Mich.
- 1948: Norwood Hills Country – Mo.
- 1949: Hermitage – Va.
- 1950: Scioto Country – Ohio
- 1951: Oakmont Country – Pa.
- 1952: Big Spring Country – Ky.
- 1953: Birmingham Country – Mich.
- 1954: Keller Golf – Minn.
- 1955: Meadowbrook Country- Mich.
- 1956: Blue Hill Country – Mass.
- 1957: Miami Valley Country – Ohio.
PGA Championship’s Stroke Play Golf Courses
Since 1958, PGA has held in stroke-play, or people all so call medal play. The players count all the strokes in a round and compare with all other players to determine their rank.
Below is the list of golf courses where PGA Championships took place in the new form:
Llanerch Country Club – Pa. 1958
- 1958: Llanerch Country- Pa.
- 1990: Shoal Creek Country – Ala.
- 1991: Crooked Stick Golf – Ind.
- 1992: Bellerive Country – Mo.
- 1993: Inverness – Ohio.
- 1994: Southern Hills Country – Okla.
- 1995: Riveria Country – Calif.
- 1996: Valhalla Golf – Ky.
- 1997: Winged Foot Golf – N.Y.
- 1998: Sahalee Country – Wash.
- 1999: Medinah Country – Ill.
- 2000: Valhalla Golf – Ky.
- 2001: Atlanta Athletic – Ga.
- 2002: Hazeltine National Golf – Minn.
- 2003: Oak Hill Country – N.Y.
- 2004: Whistling Straits – Wisc.
- 2005: Baltustrol Golf – N.J.
- 2006: Medinah Country- Ill.
- 2007: Southern Hills Country – Okla.
- 2008: Oakland Hills Country – Mich.
- 2009: Hazeltine National Golf – Minn.
- 2010: Whistling Straits – Wisc.
- 2011: Atlanta Athletic – Ga.
- 2012: The Ocean Course – S.C.
- 2013: Oak Hill Country- N.Y.
- 2014: Valhalla Golf – Ky.
- 2015: Whistling Straits – Wisc.
- 2016: Baltusrol Golf – N.J.
- 2017: Quail Hollow- N.C.
- 2018: Bellerive Country- Mo.
- 2019: Bethpage (Black) State Park – N.Y.
- 2020: TPC Harding Park – Calif.
TPC Harding Park – Calif- 2020
The PGA took place in many golf courses around the USA since 1916, and these PGA golf courses provide the high facility that every golfer would love to experience.
We hope this article helps you find how famous PGA golf courses are.